Thursday, July 28, 2011

Days Of Iron

Review written by RJ Palmer author of Birthright



Synopsis:

In the future, genetic engineering has created three species of humans. Homo sapiens – the Sapes – are the masters. The Sirians are savage and insular. And the Helots are slaves, denied even the right to breed. Humanity in all its forms has spread out into the galaxy, ruled by the all-powerful Syndicate of Galactic Corporations. But the Syndicate refuses to share technology beyond the ruling Elite. For Maddy Hawthorn, a Sape colonist, the peaceful life she had planned at Barnard’s Star is torn apart when she becomes involved in a terrorist plot to destroy the stranglehold of the Elite over the other races. Pursued by the military and the Syndicate’s agents, Maddy and her companions mount a desperate attack on the centre of control in the galaxy, an obscure planet on the fringes of known space. Maddy must fight a ruthless regime to survive, but her own past demons might be the most dangerous threat of all.


Review:


First and foremost let me say that the futuristic science fiction/mystery/thriller aspect of this novel had my vote from the very beginning because I am at heart a science fiction nut and I wasn’t disappointed. I loved the blend of modern realism, with the social injustices with which we live on a daily basis but no one wants to talk about, and futuristic overtones because it’s set in a time when one would think that those same social injustices and difficulties are things which we would’ve surpassed.

I also love the way that the author weaves a tale of intrigue and suspense while interlacing real world facts in regards to the daily struggle of life with things like space travel and colonization, water rationing and air recycling and the like. This is not a novel in which all problems are solved with just the push of a button or the adaptation of current technology to suit the given situation, the characters are forced into a creative approach to problem solving and I like that. The characters are more relatable and tend to be three dimensional and they came alive for me instead of being just a name on a piece of paper as they were by turn apathetic, angry, happy and scared and thoroughly believable.

I will admit that the ending was not at all what I expected, it wasn’t all falling stars and fool’s gold and not everything worked out perfectly and according to plan for all the characters involved which is yet another example of an aspect that snagged my interest. I’m not the type of person that enjoys an exclusively happy ending in all written works. I’ve always enjoyed a bit of a twist because it frankly keeps me guessing and keeps me wrapped up in a story.

All in all, I loved Days of Iron and wish to heartily congratulate Russell Proctor on a job incredibly well done and an intensely enjoyable tale and I whole heartedly recommend it to anyone who loves to curl up on the couch with a good book and get lost in a story as this is the kind of novel that fits the bill.

Where to Find:
Amazon
Amazon Kindle

Enhanced by Zemanta